This is a mouth-watering example of using the golden syrup :) Easy to prepare, quick to do, good for lunch and for coffee :)
Original recipe comes from this website, but I modified it a little bit.
- 110 g butter
- 120 g of sugar (preferably brown sugar)
- 1 good tablespoon of golden syrup (you can use honey if you don't have it, but that will change the taste of crunches)
- Put all the ingredients in the pot, boil and stir till smooth.
- Take if off from the cooker.
- 150-200 g of rolled oats (not more than 225g)
- 1-1,5 teaspoon(s) of ground ginger
- some almond flakes
- Turn the oven on and set for 190 Celsius degrees, so that it has time to preheat
- Add the rolled oats and ginger to your pot. Stir. If you want some more rolled oats - add them.
- Prepare your baking form - if not made from silicone - put the baking paper in or grease it with butter
- Put the mixture in a baking form* and sprinkle the almond flakes on the top.
- If the oven is already heated to 190 Celsius degrees, put the form inside the oven and bake for 5-15 minutes**
- After baking, wait 10-20 minutes till it gets thicker, easier and generally possible to be divided into smaller parts.
- Bon appetit! :)
** Look at them carefully. Very often the baking time depends on the oven. Sometimes, 6-7 minutes is perfectly enough.
How to check that ? Observe your crunch - if it is gold, you can take it out. Don't let the edges get burnt (golden dark) because these parts will be bitter and not really tasty. So if you see that it starts getting darker on the edges - take it out from the oven.