I had some packs of crackers left and I needed a cake, extremely quickly with short preparation time. So I decided to upgrade the basic recipe and here it comes! It is definitely better than the previous one :)
Ingredients: (for a small rectangular pan, otherwise there's not enough cream, but You can double the ingredients and make double cream, then You'll also need more crackers)
- 1 litre of 3,2% milk
- 2 vanilla powdered custards, 40g each (or double the recipe for this budyń, recipe here ;) )
- 2 tablespoons of potato starch
- 3/4 glass of sugar
- 2-3 vanilla sugars (16g each)
- 1-3 tablespoon of Amaretto Syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 250g of margarine
- 100g of shredded coconut
- 2-3(3-5 if bigger pan) packs of crackers (rectangular shape)
- 330 ml of 36% cream (or artificial, powdered one)
- 1/3 glass of powdered sugar
- almond flakes, for sprinkling the top
Preparation of budyn/custard:
For those of You, who has powdered custard, follow the steps below, if You can't buy powdered budyn/custard then follow all the steps in that recipe, just remember to double all the ingredients.
- Take a glass, fill 3/4 of it with milk. Add powdered custard and potato starch. Stir till smooth (no clumps please!)
- Take a pot, put all the remaining milk in there, add sugar, start boiling. Stir from time to time to help the sugar dissolve. Bring to boil and add the mixture from the glass. Lower the heat, stir energetically till it turns thick. Cool down.
Now, when the custard is ready:
- Using a stand mixer, mix butter with egg yolk, adding cooled down custard, one tablespoon after another.
- Add Amaretto syrup, gradually, mixing and tasting after every tablespoon to check how strong the Amaretto taste is for You.
- Add shredded coconut, mix till it links.
- Take a rectangular pan - preferably a rectangular springform pan (no baking paper inside is necessary, in both cases).
- Put one layer of crackers and start adding some part of the cream, to cover the entire crackers layer.
- Put another layer of crackers and cream - repeat till all the ingredients are used, the last layer are crackers.
- Before preparing the whipped cream make sure your cream is really, really cool (I always put it in the freezer before beating, for around 10-15 minutes).
- Take a mixer and its bowl, put cream inside, start mixing. After a while add powdered sugar and something to stiffen it (powdered whipped cream/smietan-fix).
- Beat for around 10 minutes (depending on the power of a mixer it might take more or less time, keep paying attention not to make butter).
- Distribute whipped cream all over the top.
- Cover the cake with foil, put in the frigde for at least 3 hours.
- Bon Appetit! ;)