Well-known Polish soup, boiled on vegetable/chicken stock with barley :) So easy, standard, tasty and filling, great for children :)
Recipe from my Mum :)
- 3 litres of water
- 500g of chicken breasts
- 3-4 big carrots
- 5 potatoes
- 1-2 parsleys
- 1/2 or 1/4 of a celery
- 1/2 onion or 1 green part of a leek
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 3-4 allspice pieces
- 150-200g of barley
- 4 tablespoons of ghee
- 1-3 teaspoons of black, ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- chopped parsley(green part, leaves) or dill (optional, though worth adding)
- Take a big pot. Put water inside.
- Wash chicken breasts, cut into cubes, add to the pot, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Start boiling (around 10-15 minutes on an average heat).
- Using a spoon take out the 'foam' from the top of the soup and throw it away.
- Wash all the vegetables. Peel and throw away the skins.
- Cut carrots, parsley and onion/leek into slices, potatoes and celery into cubes.
- When the water in the pot boils, add onion/leek to the pot, chopped celery and parsley. Boil for 15 minutes on an average or low heat.
- Add carrots and potatoes and continue boiling.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of ghee, bay leaves, allspice and barley. Stir and keep boiling. Stir all the time for 5 minutes so that the barley doesn't burn.
- Boil for 30 minutes and - if needed - season with vegeta and pepper.
- Add chopped parsley or dill. It is also possible to sprinkle a particular plate with parsley or dill, it's not necessary to add it to the entire pot with the soup.
- Bon Appetit! :)