Ouuutstanding. The best plum cake I've ever made, plus - I am not a plum-fan. But this one is absolutely gorgeous. Pictures - not the best I've ever taken, because we couldn't have resisted and started eating the cake right after having taken it out from the oven :) I guess you'll do the same :)
Slightly changed, the recipe comes from http://www.kwestiasmaku.com/zielony_srodek/sliwki/ciasto_kruche_ze_sliwkami_kremem/przepis.html
- 1 kg of plums
- powdered sugar (to sprinkle the top of the cake)
- 150 g flour
- 150 g potato starch
- 50 g of sugar
- 150 g of cold butter
- 1 egg
- 500 ml of milk
- 4 tablespoons of vanilla sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g sugar or powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of potato starch
- 100 g of flour
- 50 g of potato starch
- 100 g of shredded coconut
- 50 g of sugar
- 125 g of cold butter
- Take a big bowl. Put both flours inside, add sugar and chopped butter. Make a dough, add egg and link (everything might be done by using hands). Form a ball. Put in the freezer for 1 hour.
Crème from that recipe:
- Take a mixer and its bowl. Put egg yolks inside with sugar and beat to obtain a bright fluffy foam (it will take around 5-8 minutes of beating). Add flour and starch and mix only till all the ingredients link.
- Take a pot, put milk and vanilla sugar inside, heat till it reaches 100C, stiring from time to time. Turn the heat off.
- Slowly, step by step, add the mixture from the pot to the mixer's bowl, mixing it at the same time. Mix till smooth.
- Put the mixture in the pot and heat again - stiring all the time, cause it will start getting thicker and thicker, like a custard.
- When the creme is ready (thick), turn the heat off. Put the creme in a clean bowl. Sprinkle the top with confectioners' sugar or with grounded cold butter(the butter needs to be frozen)
- Take the dough out of the freezer.
- Take a rectangular pan and put the dough inside, roll it out, so that it covers the entire bottom of the pan.
- Using a fork, make holes in the dough all over the pan. Put the pan in a fridge for 30 minutes.
- Start preheating the oven to 160C.
- Take a big bowl, put both flours inside, add shredded coconut, sugar and chopped butter. Using hands, make a crumble. Put it in the fridge.
- If the oven is already heated to 160C put the pan with the bottom of the cake inside the oven and bake for 25 minutes till the cake's colour is gold.
- Take it out from the oven and cool down.
- Wash plums, cut into wedges, throw away the kernels.
- If the bottom of the cake is already cold, put the crème all over the bottom, then put plums all over the cake and sprinkle the entire cake with the crumble.
- Put the cake in the oven, increase the temperature to 180C and bake for 35 minutes till the cake's colour is gold.
- Cool down, sprinkle the cake all over with powdered sugar.
- Bon Appetit! :)