The second I saw this recipe I knew - this is going to be the best apple pie in the Universe. So I made it, twice bigger than the original recipe says ;) And I was perfectly right :) I had quite a lot of it, all the guests were smitten with it, I gave some 'takeaway' portions and I was receiving calls and txt messages with compliments and asks for the recipe for the entire afternoon ;)
So, here, again, bravo for KS for another wonderful recipe!
I changed the original recipe, I've added more margarine, thanks to this change it has absolutely different taste and is way better, believe me!
- 6 glasses of flour
- 12 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 345g of butter
- 235g of margarine
- optionally - if the dough isn't sticky enough - add a little water
- 1800g of apples (cut into a little bit thicker slices)
- 900g of pineapple (fresh or tinned, cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 glass of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla sugar
- 2 packagings (40g each) of vanilla powdered budyń (or 1/2 glass of potato starch)
- a handful of almond flakes or shredded coconut
- filling: a handful of raisins (of course if You like raisins, add as much as You like, though not more than 1 glass)
- top: 1 beaten egg to spread on the top, before baking
- top: powdered sugar, to sprinkle the top of the cake, after baking
- Take a big bowl, sieve flour and powdered sugar inside, add salt as well as butter and margarine cut into small pieces. Knead or mix till everything links (especially butter and margarine). If the dough isn't sticky enough and You can't form a ball, add a little water.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, cover with foil and put in the fridge for an hour.
- During that time, prepare a suitable baking pan (around 30x40 cm) - grease it and cover with baking paper. Also, during that time, prepare the filling.
- Wash, peel, cut the apples (cut out the kernels and throw away) and put in a big pot or bowl.
- Do the same with the pineapple and mix with apples.
- Optionally, add raisins to the same pot/bowl and mix.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and budyń/potato starch and mix precisely.
- Start preheating the oven to 190C.
- Take the first part of the dough, distribute all over the bottom of the baking pan and its sides.
- Add mixed filling.
- Sprinkle with almond flakes or shredded coconut.
- Take the second part of the dough from the fridge and - either make a crumble or roll out the pastry thinly and cover the cake or roll out the dough thinly, cut into stripes and make a chequered pattern.
- Optionally - beat 1 egg and distribute all over the top.
- If the oven is ready, put the cake inside and bake for 70 minutes till golden brown.
- If the top or bottom is getting too dark and isn't ready - cover the top with a piece of foil and the bottom, for example with baking tray.
- Take out from the oven and serve for instance with powdered sugar on the top or with some vanilla ice cream.
- Bon Appetit! :)