Well I decided to make a birthday gift for myself. What could it be? Self-made cake seemed to be a perfect idea :) And so it was :) Soft sponge cake, refreshing pineapple, mouth-watering, sweet cream and tongue tickling shredded coconut. What else do a palate need? ;)
Recipe comes from Kwestia Smaku.
Some useful tips on 'before baking':
- It is better to use fresh pineapple, not tinned one.
- While mixing the sponge cake, remember to mix only in one direction!
- It is possible to prepare the sponge cake one day earlier.
- Actually, preparing the entire cake one day earlier is a fantastic idea - the cake is getting better and better with time!
- A good idea to cut the sponge cake is to use a thread.
- It is possible to prepare that cake in non-alcohol version - don't impregnate the sponge cake with anything.
- If the coconut liqueur is unavailable, it is also a good idea to use rum.
- Instead of ricotta cheese it is possible to use ground curd cheese.
- About coconut milk: shake before opening the tin. If there is a transparent liquid - highly probably this coconut milk is useless and preparing the coconut cream will be impossible. It needs to be white, milk-like liquid, as the title says: 'coconut MILK' not 'coconut water'.
- 7 eggs
- 1 glass of sugar
- 1 glass of flour
- 1/3 glass of potato flour
- 2 pineapples
- 2 tablespoons of coconut liqueur
- 2 flat tablespoons of potato flour
- 1 (400ml) tin of coconut milk
- 1/4 glass of coconut liqueur
- 1 glass of sugar
- 500g of mascarpone cheese
- 250 g of ricotta cheese
- 6-9 tablespoons of rum
- Shredded coconut
- pineapples leaves (if they are in good visual condition)
- Take a springform cake tin, grease it and put the baking paper on the bottom. Grease the sides of the tin.
- Take a bowl, mix flour with potato flour inside.
- Start heating the oven to 170C.
- Take a mixer and its bowl, separate egg whites from yolks so that egg whites are inside the mixer's bowl and yolks are - for example - in a glass.
- Stir the yolks. Put aside and leave the spoon inside the glass.
- Start beating the whites on a low rotation for 2 minutes.
- After those 2 minutes start adding sugar (gradually, one tablespoon after another).
- Continute beating the whites on the highest rotation till stiff and shiny (around 7-10 minutes).
- Without stopping the mixer, start adding the yolks (gradually, one spoon after another - another goes when the previous links perfectly with egg whites).
- Stop the mixer.
- Divide flours into 3 parts and add first part to the mixer's bowl. Stir very gently (not to destroy the foam) with a spoon till it links. After that, add the second part, stir and the third - stir again. (It is very important to stir slowly and precisely cause very often, in the middle or on the bottom of the bowl there is unlinked flour).
- Pour the dough into previously prepared springform cake tin and bake for around 35 minutes in 170C.
- After that time take it immidiately out of the oven, and throw on the kitchen's surface. Cool down.
- When the cake is cold take a knife and cut the sides very near to the springform cake tin side, so that the cake can be taken out easily from the springform cake tin.
- Now cut the sponge cake into 3 parts - using a knife or a thread.
- Cut the pulp, throw away the skins and hard, middle parts of both pineapples.
- Take one pineapple, cut the pulp into cubes and put inside a pot, add liqueur and start heating on a low heat for around 30 minutes, stiring from time to time not to let it burn.
- Cut the second pineapple into cubes as well and put aside.
- Mix (using for example a blender) the boiled pineapple, add the second pineapple cut into cubes and start heating again.
- Take a glass, put a little water inside. Add potato flour, stir.
- Add potato flour from the glass to the pot with pineapples. Boil till the mousse becomes really thick, like a jam.
- Cool down.
- Take a pot. Put coconut milk and liqueur inside, add sugar and stir till the sugar melts.
- Boil on an average heat for around 30-40 minutes till the substance getsreally thick (like a gum).
- Cool down a little bit (it can't be cooled down completely cause it will be impossible to use it).
- Take a bowl, put mascarpone and ricotta cheese inside.
- Using a mixer, mix it on a slow rotation. One spoon after another, keep adding coconut 'gum' while still mixing everything on a very slow rotation and make sure it links with both ricotta and mascarpone.
Preparing the cake:
- Put the bottom sponge cake piece on a desired plate (it won't be possible to change the plate after preparing!).
- Sprinkle with rum, put 1/2 of the pineapple mousse on it and 1/3 of the coconut cream.
- Put another piece of sponge cake on it. Sprinkle with rum, put the rest of pineapple mousse on it and 1/2 of the coconut cream (leave 1/2 of the coconut cream for the sides and the top of the cake).
- Put the last piece of sponge cake on the top, sprinkle with rum, put coconut cream all over the cake - top and sides and sprinkle with shredded coconut (unlimited technique).
- Decorate the top of the cake with the pineapple leaves - if possible.
- Keep closed in a cake box, in the fridge.
- Bon Appetit! :)