Well this recipe was born out of my curiosity and a need of trying something new with puff pastry that... may not appear to be edible ;) Surprisingly, it appeared to be very tasty :) What is it? My mum said it looks like a chicken mummy ;) Seriously speaking, this is stiffed with vegs and spicy chicken crunchy puff pastry :) worth trying!
- Puff pastry*
- 500g of chicken breasts
- 500g of mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1,5-2 peppers (not necessary red one)
- mascarpone/philadelphia (cream) cheese
- a couple of cheese slices (2-3 per one)
- spices: salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, basil
- 1 egg, beaten
- green/black olives
- tomatoes (preferably dried)
- instead of an onion - a leek
* depending on a number of people eating there might be 2 packagings of puff pastry needed
- Wash, peel (if necessary) and chop all the vegetables into cubes (zucchini, courgette and carrot might be cut into slices, though it doesn't matter that much).
- Wash and cut chicken breasts into thin slices, season both sides with all the spices.
- Take a frying pan, grease, put mushrooms and onion/leek, zucchini, courgette and carrot on it. Start frying, till bright gold (3-5 minutes). Turn off the heat, put aside till it cools down.
- Prepare puff pastry, as the picture shows. (These pieces can be shorter, then, instead of 2-3 big ones, it is possible to get 4-6 smaller ones). It is good to leave the puff pastry on its paper (it's easier to move it later on the baking tray).
- Start preheating the oven to 180C.
- Add peppers to the frying pan and other additionals if desired.
- Take the first piece of puff pastry. Distribute cream cheese on the bottom, put cheese on it, add chicken and 'sprinkle' with all the vegs. Cover with another pieces of cheese. Do up, like shoelaces. Repeat with all the pieces of puff pastry.
- Take the beaten egg, put some on every top of prepared puff pastry chicken.
- Put in the oven for 25-30 minutes. If the top starts burning, cover the top with foil.
- Bon Appetit!