I would never suppose that this cake will be THAT delicious! What's more, it's perfect for every occassion :) It's not complicated and I'm sure everybody will manage to do it :)
The recipe comes from www.mojewypieki.com, though I changed it a little bit. :)
Cake: (everything from this part, connected with preparing the cake dough is required to be done 3 times, but one after another, not at once. In brackets I put the amount of all the ingredients altogether)
- 2(6) egg whites
- 2(6) tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 (1,5) tablespoon of flour
- 40 g (120g) of grounded hazelnuts (I skipped it)
Custard-butter like filling:
- 10 egg yolks
- 10 tablespoons of sugar
- 5,5 tablespoons of flour
- 32 g (2 packagings) of vanilla sugar
- 340 ml of milk
- 170 g of butter
- 340 g of 36% cream
- 200 g + 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 120 g of nutmegs, chopped and toasted (I skipped that part)
- almond flakes - to sprinkle the sides of the cake
- Take a springform cake tin, grease it and put baking paper all over its surface.
- Take a big bowl and a mixer.
- Put egg whites inside. Start beating them(it will take around 8 minutes). While doing it add sugar.
- When the egg whites are stiff enough, add flour and (optionally) hazelnuts and gently stir everything with a spoon.
- Pour the cake gently to the springform cake tin.
- Put the cake in the oven and bake for around 10-15 minutes in 170C. (Check using a toothpick if it is ready, the colour needs to be gold but bright)
- Cool down in the springform cake tin (the cake tier may seem to be too flat, but don't worry, it will be fine at the end).
Now prepare the second and third piece of cake from the recipe above, cool them all down.
- Take a clean pot.
- Put egg yolks, sugar, flour and milk inside, mix till smooth.
- Boil it on a low heat, stiring till it thickens.
- Cool down.
- Take a clean bowl, put butter inside, mix till it becomes fluffy and bright. Slowly add it to previously prepared in a pot custard.
Whipped cream and caramel:
- Take quite a lot of baking paper and put it on a clean, free space in the kitchen's surface.
- Take a big, clean bowl and mixer. Beat the cream, to get whipped cream and at the end of beating, add 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Take a pot, put 200 g of sugar inside + 2-3 tablespoons of water, start boiling it on a low heat, stiring from time to time, so that it melts. It will start boiling, even burning a little bit(it is good).
- When the edges of the sugar get golden brown, quickly take it out from the stove and pour it on a baking paper, distribute, using a spoon, all over the baking paper.
- When the sugar will get hard, crumble it on a really small pieces (but be careful not to make a powder)
- Mix whipped cream with caramel and nutmegs.
- Take a big cake plate, put the first piece of the cake on it.
- Distribute some part of the custard filling on it and then a part of the whipped cream.
- Cover it with another piece of cake, distribute custard filling, whipped cream, etc.
- The last layer is whipped cream (only the top).
- Leave some custard for the sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle the sides with almond flakes.
- Bon Appetit! :)