I've hardly made a picture of that cake! I would say it's the second best cake I've ever eaten after Gourmet Sensation. Deriving from France, Tart Tatin is a cake for a fans of 'wet' cakes with lots of fruit and little dough. Very sweet, thanks to caramel and very fruity, thanks to soft apples with a scent of cinnamon. Fantastic and absolutely mouth-watering, if you're willing to take up a challange and give it a try :) I do recommend! :)
This is Pascal Brodnicki's recipe.
- Do not use springform cake tin to prepare it, because the apple juice + butter-sugar mixture will leak, while heating on the stove as well as in the oven so the tart won't be prepared adequately and overturning will be a disaster.
- Choose only big, round, beautiful apples, with no spots.
- 200g of flour
- 20g of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 100g of butter, cut into cubes (soft, in a room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 6 big, beautiful, round apples
- 150g of sugar
- 150g of butter
- 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- vanilla ice cream
- mint leaves
- Take a mixer and its bowl. Put flour, sugar, salt, butter and egg yolk inside. Mix/knead till the dough is formed. While mixing add water.
- When the dough is formed, cover the cake with foil and put inside the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- Choose big apples in a similar size. Wash and peel all them, cut and throw away the kernels. Cut into wedges (or so-called 'boats' ;) around 8 pieces/1 apple)
- Take a tray, put it on the stove. Add butter, melt it on a very low heat. Add sugar, stir.
- Boil, for a quite long time, keep stiring, till it starts getting gold, to prepare a caramel (be very very careful with that, it's extremely hot, do not taste it during preparing and do not touch!). Turn it off, put aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Choose the most beautiful apple wedges, start putting them on the tray, making a round pattern, like a fan, putting one piece slightly on another one, starting from the edge of the tray, to the centre of the tray. This first layer is very important, it needs to be done really precisely, because after all, this is the top of the cake. Sprinkle the first layer with cinnamon. Put another layer, sprinkle with cinnamon, etc. till all the apple wedges are used.
- On a very low heat, start boiling it again, covered with a lid, for around 5 minutes till the caramel covers either only the first one or all of the apple layers.
- Take out from the stove.
- Take the cake from the fridge, roll out on sprinkled with flour kitchen's surface and put it on the top of the apples. Edges which are too long roll inside.
- Tn the middle of the cake dough make a small hole, a 'chimney'.
- Put in the oven for around 20-25 minutes till the top is gold.
- Take it out from the oven, let it cool down a little. (around 10 min.)
- Using a knife, cut it out from the tray.
- Put a big plate on it, hold it tight and very quickly overturn.
- Gently take the tart out of the tray.
- Serve for example with vanilla ice cream and mint leaves.
- Bon Appetit!! :)